3.5.1. Buildings of historical interest

The Blackhorse is a 17th century inn. The establishment retains its rustic oak beams, open fires, and a courtyard.     

 

The Blackhorse is at the centre of villages activities. It is therefore important for the community that it retains it character.  Any redevelopment of this historic inn would need to be sympathetic to the needs of community and should not disturb the architectural character of the village 

There are many buildings in the village that are old and help to define its character. To lose these buildings would substantially change the feel and nature of the community. They are buildings that afford interest and provide a connection with the village’s history.

The property above is opposite the Blackhorse. It a combination of properties build some three to four hundred years ago. This was farm manor with its own courtyard. It also has a barn conversion

This is typical of a house built 1700 of Yorkshire stone. It has a sundial on the wall.

These properties help to define the village of Clifton

Probably the home of the de Flemyngs in the 12C. Earliest name “Crosse Hall”. A branch of the Hylegh family of Sowerby settled in Clifton in the late 15C and built a hall. Highley Hall Farm probably contains at least part of this Hall, much altered. The date of 1632 is probably of an alteration A barn adjoining the house has a fine old roof, and their signs of Tudor works in other outbuildings.

The village has a war memorial commemorating the fallen of the two world wars. The memorial is set in gardens, which are well maintained.

In the background can be seen Highley’s Hall.

St Johns Church is a focal point for the village of Clifton. In 1856 a committee was formed to consider building a church in the village of Clifton, and in the following year Sir George Armytage of Kirklees gave the land on which it was too be built. It was estimated that it would cost £1400 to build the church and many local people gave money towards this, so that in 1858 the foundation stone was laid, and the church was built. The church was completed in 1859 and was consecrated in 1860 and acquired full Parochial status in 1887.

There is an active Methodist community in the village.  The Chapel built in 18xx .  The architecture of the Chapel is typical of the period. The Chapel is to be found between two-period cottages, built in Yorkshire stone.

The Church and the Chapel compliment themselves, both providing a religious and community focus for the village. The building themselves are key features of the village and important to its life.

St John’s Primary Academy originally built in the 1870s is also important to the village. It is a top-performing school, which was called ‘outstanding’ in successive Ofsted inspections such as in 2014.

Our objective is to protect and enhance the villages heritage for the benefit of existing residents, tourists and for the education of present and future generations.

Our policy is any development must conserve and enhance the heritage assets of the village and their setting, including maintaining settlement separation.  

 

 The following buildings and sites are of architectural significance, local distinctiveness and character and historic importance; 

  • The Blackhorse Inn
  • Highley’s Hall
  • Sundial House
  • Beehive House
  • Blacksmith House and cottages
  • Savile Farm House
  • The village well
  • St John’s Church
  • Methodist Chapel
  • St John’s School
  • War Memorial and gardens

Comments

Feedback

Please add all feedback to this form and send